Top Ten Tips On What To Look For In Conveyancing When Buying Your Property
Claire Ward recently joined leading regional law firm Pictons as Head of its rapidly expanding Conveyancing Department. Over the past six months the Department has been strengthened with the recruitment of new experienced team members.
Claire, who currently leads a team of seventeen is planning to recruit more conveyancing specialists across Pictons’ four offices in Herts, Beds and Bucks to cope with the demand.
Claire, who qualified as a solicitor in 1999, has always specialised in conveyancing. She says “The housing market is very buoyant across all three counties where we are based and we’re expecting it to get busier.
“The new government has pledged more house building and we’ve certainly done a lot of work with people acquiring their homes in the Help To Buy scheme, which I’m sure is set to continue. We have found that the market is not only active on ‘new builds’ it’s really across the board with properties of every size and value.”
Choosing the right solicitor for what is likely to be the most expensive purchase of your life is an important decision in the process of acquiring a new home.
Claire has some useful tips for buyers to consider:
- Choose a firm with a good reputation
- Ensure you have an experienced conveyancing specialist taking care of you
- Good communication is essential and make sure your solicitor keeps you informed at all stages of your transaction
- Make sure your chosen property specialist is a member of the Law Society or Council for Licensed Conveyancers.
- Get an estimated time from start to completion
- Agree on a quote for the cost of the transaction and check for any hidden costs.
- Provide as much information and documentation as you can from the property sellers to your solicitor.
- You will need to be patient, especially if you are in a chain.
- Make sure that you have everything in place that you need, such as mortgage finance before proceeding.
- Ask questions, check documents, make sure you are satisfied with the customer service you are receiving.
If you are buying or selling a property and would like to make an enquiry, please contact one of Claire’s team on 0845 263 7505* or email email@example.com
*local rates apply, mobiles may vary